Not only is Algiers Point (aka “Old Algiers”) the second-oldest neighborhood in the city next to the French Quarter, it is also one of the city’s premier historic neighborhoods. Its 19th century village of turn-of-the century homes, corner grocery stores, churches and parks give it the warm feeling of a small town, although being set within the city limits. Only being separated from Canal Street and the Vieux Carre by the width of the Mississippi River, there is easy access to all the amenities of suburban-style living. The easy commute to work in the Central Business District is only a leisurely ferry ride away.
In 1719, after the founder of the city, Bievnville, was granted this tract of land, the first sketches of the town site were drawn. In 1842, the subdivision of the Duverje Plantation into lots instituted the present plan for the town and rapid growth followed. A fire destroyed a section of Algiers in 1895 and most of the buildings existing in this upper section now date from just after the fire. Many houses in the area have been restored; however, there are many that remain ideal for restoration.
In 1978, Algiers Point was placed on the National. Register of Historic Places and was recognized as exhibiting the characteristics distinctive of a turn-of-the-century community.
Community events include: Art Festival, Home Tour, Octoberfest, Courthouse Classic 5k Run, Christmas Bonfire on the Levee and Art in the Garden.
Public transportation is available both by Ferry, as well as the Regional Transit Authority.